23 March 2009

Today I'm claiming a new stance on the wrangling back and forth, back and forth, between different loved ones, each presenting his own version of the "matter". It does get to me sometimes.

Not today though. Boy am I glad I'm not in the middle of it this time, not the one whose advice is being sought, whose blessing or curse is being indirectly solicited, whose careless comment might set the embers aflame again. I'm simply a sounding board, an animated third-party, listening yet uninvolved, the occasional "What!?" and "Oh no, they didn't!" surficing to let my mother know I care about her pain over having to play telephone-referee once more.

I refuse to bear that torch. Not today. I have things to do. Important things that will move me forward, not drag me back and pin me to the past, as family quarrels are wont to do.

Even so it pulls at my focus, seeking to suck me in with a barely-stifled "he's crazy, I tell you, I've always known that..." or "why don't you tell her..." And then I remember... I have things to do. Important things. In the other room, away from the juicy bait my mother throws my way every so often when she places her hand over the phone and yells her reaction.

1 comment:

  1. This is sad,true but funny....the ties that bind and sometimes choke...families.

    ReplyDelete

Comment on the Post: